The Nilgiri Hills in Tamil Nadu is among the most beautiful holiday destinations in India. If you want to escape the summer heat, it is the ideal place for a long-drawn holiday. Ooty or Udhagamandalam is a popular hill station as many people, especially in the southern cities visit the town to take a break from their mundane life. This town is host to the annually held Ooty Summer Festival. This event takes place during the month of May over two weeks and is organized with an aim to promote tourism.
This 121-year old festival is held at the sprawling botanical gardens spread over 22 acres and you will get to enjoy the carnival, pageants, and boat races on the Ooty Lake. Here is a list of some of the shows that you will get to see at the festival:
- Rose Show: This event is held at the Rose Garden and showcases over 300 varieties of rose. You will see beautiful creations made out of roses and rangolis made from rose petals.
- Fruit Show: At the Fruit Show you will see how art can be expressed through anything. This event is arranged by the Horticulture Department and has a history of over 50 years.
- Spice Show: This show marks the beginning of the festival. Regardless of whether you are an aficionado, this fascinating exhibition is worth a visit if you happen to be in Ooty. Some of the spices are grown in the plantations located in and around the town.
- Flower Show: The Flower Show is the marquee event of the festival and you will see the best flower sculptures that demonstrate the beautiful artistry and craftsmanship of young artists who create these floral structures.
The event also acts as a platform for the locals to place emphasis on the Nilgiri Hills and create awareness among tourists with respect to the place, its cultural importance and why steps must be taken to preserve it.
Other Places Nearby Worth Visiting
In addition to the Ooty Summer Festival, you can visit the following places:
- Avalanche Lake: The Avalanche Lake is situated 29 km away from the town. Here you can participate in activities such as rafting, trekking and other adventures with the stunning orchids and rhododendron as a backdrop.
- Doddabetta: This is the highest mountain peak of the Nilgiris. The peak is surrounded by a dense forest and is an ideal spot for travellers who wish to see a breathtaking view of the town.
- Steam Train Ride: A ride on the iconic British era Nilgiri Mountain Railway is one of the most popular activities among tourists. The rickety train that still runs on a steam engine will take you from Mettupalayam to Ooty through dense pine forests.
If you are planning to visit Ooty to witness the festival, you can stay at any of the Sterling resorts that offer all the comfort you will need during your stay. You will surely enjoy the various local delicacies served at the in-house multi-cuisine restaurant.