The summer brings heat and sweat. It also brings mangoes literally ripe for the taking. Now just imagine a festival of the proverbial king of fruits. Yes, you read it right. During the summer, a huge number of mango festivals are held in different parts of India where hundreds, if not thousands of savoury varieties of the fabled fruit are put on display.
Apart from the taste, the king of fruits is known to be a nutritional powerhouse. It aids in digestion, boosts immunity, boosts immunity, maintains the health of our eyes and promotes a healthy gut, lowers cholesterol with its high fiber content and clears the skin. And where can you get a vast number of these juicy golden delights in one place? The International Mango Festival, of course.
It was in the year 1987 when the first edition of the festival took place. It is organized by the Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation in collaboration with the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority, the National Horticultural Board and the New Delhi Municipal Council.
Highlights of the International Mango Festival
If you’re a naturalist with a penchant for growing a fruit or a vegetable in your garden, then you will love the collection of mango seeds at the Mango Exhibition 2019. The best time to grow mangoes from the seeds is at the beginning of the wet season, where it will take a mango tree anywhere between two and four years to produce fruit. Here are a few other highlights from the festival:
- The festival will offer lessons on mango carving.
- The biggest highlight is the fruit tasting event. Make sure that you sample most of the refreshing tropical brews.
- It will be an ideal opportunity for agro-industrialists to showcase their range of jams, pickles, fruit squashes, essences, tinned fruit and many other such products of their creation.
- More than 1100 of mango varieties are ready to be sampled by your taste buds. The most popular mango varieties are Langda, Malda, Dasheri, Alphonso, Chausa, Sindheri, Himgiri, and Bombay Green.
- There will be a huge swell of competitors who will participate in events like mango eating and slogan writing.
- The festival will also feature a cooking demonstration and offer tips on how to keep mango trees healthy.
- The event ends on a musical note. Various music artists assemble to sing folk songs based on mango themes.
International Mango Festival Dates
The International Mango Festival 2019 held in Delhi will be a two-day festival where mango lovers aficionados get to embark on an experiential journey. The International Mango Festival in Delhi will be held from 9 July to 10 July at Dilli Haat, Janak Puri. It is a once in a year festival so better make the most of it
July is the best time to visit India as the country enjoys pleasant weather conditions during this time which are ideal for sightseeing and other outdoor activities. You can expect to see some very unusual shapes, colours, and textures of mangoes from around the globe.
Since the International Mango Festival draws a huge crowd not just from India but around, the world hotels in and around Janak Puri, Delhi will jump on the bandwagon by offering a myriad of deals and discounts at least one week before the festival.