Puri is well known as a place for pilgrimage, one of the “Char Dhams” or four most important pilgrim destinations for Hindus. The town of Puri is centred around the 12th-century temple of Jagannath and in fact, the economy of the town is dependent on the temple to a large extent. Apart from the temple, the other major attraction for travellers has been the beautiful but volatile coastline that skirts the town of Puri. The sea here is on the rougher side and the waves emerging from the Bay of Bengal and crashing on the sands are massive. The stretch of beach between Puri and Konark is a spectacular sight at all times, but November is when it all gets more exciting due to the Surf festival that is scheduled to take place. Puri is one of the well-known surfing destinations in India and the surf festival is guaranteed to be an awe-inspiring experience.
The India Surf Festival 2017 will take place along the Puri coastline, a spectacular event that is not to be missed.
What can one expect to see at the India Surf Festival 2017?
The India Surf Festival is being organized with an aim of generating awareness of the sport in India and popularising it. More than 100 surfers from across the world including India, Spain, Brazil, Singapore, and Italy are expected to exhibit their skills as they take on the gigantic waves of the Bay of Bengal on the Puri-Konark coastline.
Apart from the main surfing event, there are many interesting events happening on the sidelines. This would include workshops where the basics of surfing would be taught by international experts, audio-visual presentations and movies relating to Surfing. Sand art and sculpture will mesmerize the visitors while live musical performances will serenade them at the event. A feast of organic and authentic Indian and other food is also on the cards. Local folk dances will unveil the richness of the local culture which is sure to be a source of fascination for everyone.
Other must-see sights when in Puri
When in Puri, you may want to also include the following activities when you are able to free yourself from the bewitching snare of the Surf Festival:
- Lose yourself in the architectural enigma of the nearby Konark Sun Temple
- Visit the famous 12th Century Puri Jagannath temple and wonder at its various unsolved mysteries
- Visit the secluded Puri Lighthouse for some spectacular views of the Bay of Bengal
- Go turtle spotting in the exquisite Puri beach
How to Get to Puri?
- Puri is situated about 69 kilometres from Bhubaneshwar, the capital of Odisha
- The nearest airport to Puri is the Biju Patnaik airport in Bhubaneswar which is well connected to Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata and other major cities
- Rail is another option to get to Puri, Bhubaneswar is well connected by rail to major cities and there are many trains that connect Puri and Bhubaneshwar
Where to Stay during the India Surf Festival 2017
If you want to enjoy all the fun and frolic on the beach and then return to luxurious indulgence to recharge and rejuvenate, you have the Puri Golden Sands, a Sterling Resort to stay in.
The sand, sea, surf, as well as the spirituality of Puri, beckons you to enter a land that is going to surcharged with the excitement of the India Surf Festival. Don’t you think it is time to pack your bags?